Re: kernel development approach for fedora

On 10/10/2008 02:30 PM, Chris Snook wrote:
> Mail Lists wrote:
>>    Linus switched kernel development away from large releases (odd/even
>> major numbers) with infrequent release cycles and instead switched to
>> something more continuous - essentially small  rapid changes and
>> frequent snapshots to stable.
>>
>>    Would the kernel release style be suited to fedora - for much the
>> same reasons possibly. They seem to manage getting big changes in there
>> too. And it would be in spirit with the bleeding edge of we desire in
>> fedora.
>>
>>    This mode would be basically always updating and never/seldom
>> installing .. perhaps by some measure the rawhide to stable is similar
>> .. but there are definite differences. As rawhide is not merged into
>> stable ..so our current method seems to resemble the older kernel
>> development approach.
>>
>>    Curious what others think
>
> We regularly rebase packages, including the kernel, to new upstream
> versions after a release, but we do this only after they've received
> significant testing exposure in rawhide and updates-testing.  If you
> want the bleeding-edge packages, just enable the rawhide repository by
> default and pray that nothing breaks.
>
> -- Chris

  In this new mode we would have only  2 streams -  current development
and stable.

  Current development targets remerging every few weeks into stable ..
quite different than current rawhide and patching f8/f9 and the next big
bang release is f10 etc.

   Google back in lkml for Linus and others thoughts about the different
approaches - i'm just asking if his approach may also be a good model at
the distro level. Rawhide is not the same at all.