Re: Hardware Raid Expansion and LVM

On Thursday 09 October 2008 01:17:31 pm Seann Clark wrote:
> All,
>
>     I am looking for a little help on finding out the best way to do
> this. I had a 4 disk 1.4TB RAID 5 array, and extended that to an 8 disk
> 3.18TB array, on a 64 bit system.The Raid card handled the migration of
> the disks well, and everything on that side is up and running as it
> should. Problem is I don't know how to extend LVM to a larger size,
> without doing the whole adding of physical drives, and so forth, and the
> pv display doesn't show more than the 1.4TB that I started with. Most
> documentation details software RAID procedures that don't really work
> with this. I figure I am doing something(lots of things) wrong.
>
> Commands I have used:
>
> Thu Oct 09-13:10:36-root@haruhi:~> pvs -o +dev_size
>   PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize PFree   DevSize
>   /dev/sda2  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   9.78G  64.00M   9.81G
>   /dev/sdb1  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   1.35T 576.00M   1.35T
>
> This error is after I resized the pv back to its original size:
> Thu Oct 09-13:11:32-root@haruhi:~> lvresize -d -L 3.18T
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>   Rounding up size to full physical extent 3.18 TB
>   Extending logical volume LogVol00 to 3.18 TB
>   Insufficient free space: 59572 extents needed, but only 20 available

first you need to fix up the physical disk  either resize the partition
/dev/sdb1  to use all of the disk.  or just create a new partition using the
new disk.  probably safer to just make a new partition in the free space

then make it a physical volume

pvcreate /dev/sdb2

then extend the Volume Group

vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sdb2

then you will be able to resize the Logical Volume
lvextend -L 3.18T  LogVol00

it looks like you have everyting in one VolumeGroup  and a single logical
volume?

Dennis