Re: Package Rebuilding

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> James Kosin wrote:
>> When you build a new package (say for postgresql) and you are
>> leaping version number, say from 7.x to 8.x, How do you go about
>> updating the other dependencies (other packages that require a
>> library in 7.x) that doesn't exist in the new package?  Without
>> completely scrubbing the other packages and rebuilding them
>> afterwards that is.
>
> If there are packages that truly require postgresql 7.x, then you will
> need to rebuild them if you update to postgresql 8.x.  If these
> packages have a bogus requirement on postgresql 7.x and they really
> don't need it, then file bugs.
>
> Odds are though that the requirements are on the postgresql libraries
> and they really are needed.
>
>> Maybe another way:  Can you specify the postgresql path while
>> building new rpms for the dependent packages, so they see the new
>> package libraries instead of the old?  Without either forcing the
>> install of the new package, or uninstalling all the dependent
>> packages then rebuilding.
>
> You could possibly build the new packages with a different name, like
> postgresql8.  You would also probably need to change the location that
> the libraries and perhaps even binaries were installed as well.  This
> may or may not be an easy task.  I've not built or looked at the
> postgresql sources myself.
>
> Fedora does ship some libraries and programs like this.  Two examples
> I can think of are gnupg and gnupg2, and db4 and compat-db.  There
> generally need to be pretty good reasons to do this though, and simply
> avoiding rebuilding dependent applications isn't good enough for
> Fedora. ;)

Thanks for the input.
I guess I have a lot of work ahead if I want to switch from postgresql
7.x -> 8.x versions.
I got 8.x to compile.. build.. and package...
Only problem I have is :
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) perl-DBD-Pg-2.10.7-0.0.fc1.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) postgresql-tcl-7.4.22-0.0.fc1.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) mrproject-0.10-1.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) xemacs-21.4.14-3.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) mod_auth_pgsql-2.0.3-0.fc1.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) libmrproject-0.10-3.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) gnucash-backend-postgres-1.8.8-1.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) qt-PostgreSQL-3.1.2-14.2.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) freeradius-postgresql-1.0.1-0.FC1.5.legacy.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) php-pgsql-4.3.11-1.fc1.6.legacy.i386
>         libpq.so.3 is needed by (installed) libdbi-dbd-pgsql-0.6.5-7.i386
when I try to install the new packages I created.

I was kind of hoping there was a trick to be able to get the new
packages built for this dependency and still keep the system up and
running the current postgresql server.  But, I guess I'm living a dream.

James