Re: Why is Firefox such a beast??

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 18:00:09 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:54:11 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> 	[....]
>> If you want to set up a new Firefox correctly and reasonably securely
>> (for certain values of correct and secure, of course), read my article
>> here:
>>
>> http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/squid-privoxy/index.html
	[...]
> 	OK, I've never had the nerve to try tweaking privoxy, either. But
> I went to your site, copied the sample squid config file, installed
> squid, cd'd root to /etc/squid, moved squid.conf.default to a backup,
> created a new one with "nano -w squid.conf.default," and copied your
> version into it.
>
> 	Then I got this :
>
> [root@Hbsk2 squid]# cd
> [root@Hbsk2 ~]# /usr/sbin/squid -z
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
> 'visible_hostname'
>
> Squid Cache (Version 3.0.STABLE7): Terminated abnormally. CPU Usage:
> 0.012 seconds = 0.007 user + 0.005 sys Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> [root@Hbsk2 ~]#
	[...]
> 	What need I do to make /usr/sbin/squid -z work?
	[....]
	After some further steps, posted here, I decided (and don't
remember why) that the /usr/sbin/squid -z *had* done something or other
-- and tried to go on from ther with the procedure detailed in Frank
Cox's article.

	That got me royally snarled. Finally I just did this :
[root@Hbsk2 ~]# yum remove squid
	[...]
Running Transaction
  Erasing        : squid
[1/1]
warning: /etc/squid/squid.conf.default saved as /etc/squid/
squid.conf.default.rpmsave
warning: /etc/squid/squid.conf saved as /etc/squid/squid.conf.rpmsave

Removed: squid.i386 7:3.0.STABLE7-1.fc9
Complete!
[root@Hbsk2 ~]#

	Then I went back and changed what I could find to set browsers
back to using privoxy. I couldn't find any option to set network proxy to
none; so I made that privoxy, too, and gave a long list of things to
connect directly to.

	I mean to start over from scratch -- after a long rest, so I can
have forgotten my confusions, and maybe miss some of them.

	Meanwhile, I don't like that warning, nor the fact that at least
some squid folders are still there; am I really back to scratch?? Do I
need to go delete some folders??

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3