Re: Unable to build NVIDIA kernel module

Alex Makhlin wrote:

> Trapper wrote:
>> Alex Makhlin wrote:
>>> Has anyone ran into this error "Unable to build NVIDIA kernel module"
>>> while installing the latest Nvidia drivers? Anyone know the fix?
>>>
>> I don't know if it's the same circumstances but I do know I had to do
>>
>> this prior to installing the drivers from livna.
>>
>> yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers glibc-headers
>>
>> Trapper
>>
> I have those installed already and am still getting the same error. The
> last time that I installed an Nvidia driver on this laptop I used an RPM
> file but can't remember which one it was. rrrrrr. This time I am trying
> to install the driver from Nvidia "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run" and
> am using Fedora 9 KDE 4.1. Anyone else have any suggestions?

The nvidia script won't work with an X session running.  You have to get to
run level 3 and run directly from the command line console screen.  It is
getting harder and harder to get out of gui to get a plain text console.
Probably easiest for you is to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and put a blank
followed by a 3 on the line with the kernel description.  For example

	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 ro root=LABEL=/ 3 vga=791 early-login

Robert McBroom