Re: Login sound -- library mode

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Nifty Fedora Mhitch
<niftyfedora@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 04:25:16PM -0700, Richard England wrote:
>> Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
>>> Does anyone know how to silence F8 login sounds short of turning down
>>> login sounds and other audio....
>>> Tossing /usr/share/sounds/login.wav to the side seems to be sloppy.
>>>
>>> It is the classic boot in a library or lecture hall problem but I do
>>> not see any easy 'designed' way to get there from here.
>>>
>>> I would like all sounds do be well dialed back in such situations not
>>> just the login....
>>>

>> System > Preference > Hardware > Sounds
>>
>> Click on the Sounds tab at the top of the dialog,
>> Go to the bottom of the list and change the settings for "Log in:" to
>> "no sound" in the selection box.
>> Make other adjustments as necessary.
>>
>> The alternative is to change the  overall level of volume for "PCM" I
>> believe.  I'd have to check.
> Thank you... Since I could care less about that sound so it solves it
> for me in part.
>
> I was thinking about a 'library' profile that I could select but in
> today's Internet world -- who goes to the library anymore.  I will still have
> to quickly hush stuff should I mouse over some web page with audio....
> Not just libraries, sometimes I login late at night when others in the house are sleeping.
>

> --
>        T o m  M i t c h e l l i
>        Found me a new hat, now what?
>
> --

Hi T o m  M i t c h e l l i !

I have two thoughts:

1. I use headphones for this.  When you plug them in the speakers are
muted and you still have a way to access the sound if you need to.

2. You could set up an unused run level and call it from the grub boot
stanza by selection (esc during the splash screen),

Have a lot of fun!

Tod