Re: Why is Firefox such a beast??

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:17:28 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> squid.conf is a CONFIGURATION FILE that happens to have a lot of
> instructions for use embedded in it.  Everything that starts with a #
> sign is a "remark" and is ignored by the program.

	Yes, I understand the use of # in "commenting out"

> That way, you can
> have the instructions for use right beside and along with the actual
> configuration directions that the program reads and follows.

	Yes, of course; but when the instructions are pure geekish ...

>> 	I tried blindly adding a line -- so that the passage now reads :
>>

>> #  TAG: visible_hostname
>> #       If you want to present a special hostname in error messages,
>> etc, #       define this.  Otherwise, the return value of gethostname()
>> #       will be used. If you have multiple caches in a cluster and #
>>    get errors about IP-forwarding you must set them to have #individual
>> names with this setting.
>> #
>> #Default:
>> # none
>> Hbsk2.localdomain
>>
>> 	-- except that I can't make it format right in this post.
>>
>> 	Was that supposed to make it work?
>
> Close, but not quite.  Notice that the instructions tell you that the
> tag is visible_hostname. You have to tell squid what Hbsk2.localdomain
> means using the specified tag.

	"tag" is not only geekish, but spark-nail-new geekish to me.

> visible_hostname Hbsk2.localdomain
>
> Like that.

	OK, I changed it to that. And neither Ffx not galeon can see any
site not p[rotected from proxies even yet. :-(

	Gotta go. Talk atcha tomorrow. Don't think I don't appreciate it.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3