Re: gdm does not execute PreSession PostSession scripts

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Trapper <trapper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed that the customized gdm PreSession/Default and
>>> PostSession/Default scripts that I've been using for years in Fedora
>>> 1-8 no longer run on a system that recently upgraded to Fedora 9.
>>> There have been many changes in Fedora's gdm this time, no more
>>> gdmsetup program and such, but as far as I can see in the
>>> documentation, the scripts are supposed to run still, but they don't.
>>>
>>> It appears to me that neither PreSession nor PostSession is executed.

> So, the experience I am having suggests to me that PostSession/Default
> does execute. This is in F10 and F9.
>
> Maybe it has something to do with the custom commands you have? I know that
> when F9 was released I had to revamp a couple of little scripts that I
> automatically ran at login because paths to specific things in the scripts
> had changed from F8.
>
> Trapper

Well, I don't think it is something in the script, since it does run
if I just type it's name on the command line after startup.  Also, the
echo commands that write messages to a text file don't show up.

I suspect that this problem is one of those Fedora gotchas that
happens when one person upgrades through a certain sequence of RPM
installs and something that is expected doesn't happen.  Maybe a post
install script failed, I'll keep trying.

You mention that you have scripts that run at login. Are you running
them through some way besides gdm PreSession.  How do you do it?

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science