Re: How to change the display manager from GDM to SLIM? [SOLVED]

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Kennet R. Iversen <fedora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have tried to get slim to start as my login manager instead of gdm, but
everything I have tried so far has not worked.

I have installed slim via yum and then tried the following approaches:

First I tried to put the following line in /etc/X11/default-display-manager
  /usr/bin/slim

That did not work. Then I tried to put this line in /etc/inittab:
  x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

Did you read the documentation README.Fedora where it says:

To use SLiM with Fedora, put the following
in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop configuration:

DISPLAYMANAGER=/usr/bin/slim-dynwm

To reboot or halt, login in as special username
"reboot" or "halt" - using the root password.
To get a console prompt use username "console",
and to switch sessions use F1, screenshot F11.

To view screenshots you can use ImageMagick:
convert /slim.xwd /slim.png

Thanks for all the replys. I should of cause have looked in the supplied documentation as the first thing. Putting

DISPLAYMANAGER=/usr/bin/slim-dynwm

in /etc/sysconfig/desktop did most of the trick. The current package of slim (slim-1.3.0-4.fc9.i386) contains a symlink to the background image of the default theme (the only one installed) but the file it points to is not installed. Replacing the symlink with the actual image from the source makes slim load as expected :)

Again thanks for your help.