Re: More RAID-1 problems

Bill Davidsen wrote:
puilt from jeff@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've again run into a problem with RAID-1 on my system.  I can mount all
the raid volumes using the linux rescue boot option from the install CD.

I have a few questions below...

verified that the UUID's listed in the /etc/mdadm.conf file are correct
(mdadm -D /dev/mdX matches what's in the conf file). Reinstalled grub with "grub-install /dev/sda" and "grub-install /dev/sdb" Reviewed bugzilla bugs 447818 & 444237 and tried modifying the
/etc/rc.sysinit file to create the arrays at boot time.

Since I've never had to do that on any of 10-12 systems, I'm really suspicious that this is not a step forward.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

If you are naming any partitions in the mdadm.conf, that's probably your problem. You want to be using the PARTITIONS method, giving only the UUID as a hint, and letting mdadm find the partitions and put them together. You also may want to check that the correct mdadm.conf file is in your init file (.img) to get correct function, particularly if you have chhanged arrays.

I'm not completely following you regarding the /etc/mdadm.conf file, currently it has entries such as:

ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=e947ca93:d82a9cdf:822a12f9:1933def1

obviously a unique line per raid device (and I verified the UUID numbers are correct). However the initrd...img "init" file makes no reference to this file, how can mdadm get access to this file if the partition really hasn't been mounted yet?

Final suggestion: take this to the linux-raid list, it's highly unlikely that this is a Fedora problem.
I'll post my questions there as well, its probably something simple.

Thanks, Jeff