Re: KDE 4.1.2 released... next new feature release will be Jan 09... F8 implications.

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 03:05:57PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 21:45 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > In other words, F10, when it ships in October, is going to have the same
> > > KDE functionality that F9 has now, ie it is missing a lot of commonly
> > > needed desktop functionality.  An increase in KDE4 functionality won't
> > > occur until the KDE 4.2.0 release in January, if there isn't a schedule
> > > slip.
> >
> > We've known this all along, this is not news to us. Well, except for your "it
> > is missing a lot of commonly needed desktop functionality" assertion which I
> > disagree with.
> >
> > That said, we could be backporting some of the improvements from 4.2 if there
> > is demand. But we need to know WHAT features you are still missing. We can't
> > just ship the 4.2 alpha (though a 4.2 alpha or beta will probably become
> > available for F10 through kde-redhat unstable before the F8 EOL). If you come
> > up with a short, precise list of important missing features (please only the
> > really important ones, not "I noticed those 400 obscure missing features I
> > never actually use"), we're more likely to be able to make you happy.
> ----
> konsole really suffered regressions
>
> this used to work real well
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # create xhost environment for users
> #
> xhost +localhost
> konsole --profile 5shells --vt_sz 176x50
>
> no more. No more restoring tabs from logoff.
>
> Craig

I'm a long-time user of kde. I had so many security problems with konsole that
I switched to xterm. Before that I stopped using kmail for the same reason.
Konqueror seems to have problems only when JavaScript or Java is enabled, so
I run Konqueror with both disabled by default. Works Great then.