Re: SELinux - a question about external drive after upgrade

Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh <at> redhat.com> writes:

> You can easily lay context down by running restorecon on the USB drive
> at the mountpoint.  Or just set it up to mount the disk with a countext.
>  Something like system_u:object_r:removable_t:s0.

Thanks Dan - I will have to try this out once I have upgraded the main desktop
to F9 with SELinux.

I presume that using "rsync -aXH" from a laptop on the LAN and targetting
the mountpoint on the desktop where the external usb drive is attached
will then preserve contexts on the usb drive for the backup?

At least this looks like it should work once I have the external drive
mounted with the appropriate context...

One other question I don't know the answer to is whether once this has
been done - if the USB drive is then attached to a different machine that is
running with SELinux disabled if that would cause problems or if the contexts
would simply be ignored?

The scenario would be that the drive is taken to another machine to restore
files but that machine is SELinux disabled.

I guess I still have plenty to learn about SELinux!