Re: active connection problem

--- On Fri, 10/3/08, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: active connection problem
> To: fredsilsbee@xxxxxxxxx, "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Friday, October 3, 2008, 2:52 AM
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 18:39 -0700, Fred Silsbee wrote:
> > I am going blind. I have looked through the popup menu
> for KDE 4.1.1
> > until I turned green but I do not see Network Manager.
>
> I'll just say this up front:  It really pays to say
> which window manager
> you're using, especially if not the default Gnome,
> it'll affect how
> other people provide information.  I don't use KDE, but
> I do try it out
> from time to time.
>
> > yumex says it is installed...maybe it is a gnome thing
>
> No, not really.
>
> > I found network config and network device control but
> no network
> > manager.
>
> "NetworkManager" is a service, likewise is
> "network", they run in the
> background, managing your network interfaces for you.  You
> can find them
> listed in whatever shows you a list of running services
> [1].  There are
> tools for configuring them, or simply bringing already
> configured
> interfaces up and down, that are separate.  And you can
> find ones made
> for Gnome and KDE.
>
>   1. e.g. system-config-services  (graphical tool)
>      e.g. chkconfig --list        (chkconfig is a command
> line tool)
>
> However, I think you *might* not want automatic network
> configuration,
> since you discussed setting IP address, netmask, gateway,
> etc.  If
> that's the case, that you want manual configuration,
> you're better off
> to turn off the NetworkManager service, and the network
> service on.
> Then, you can use something [2] to manually set up your
> network.
>
>   2. e.g. system-config-network    (a graphical tool)
>
> Do you know how to start and stop services, and to set
> which ones will
> be started automatically?

When I composed the email reply, I made a particular point of saying which window manager I was using:

as follows:

> I am going blind. I have looked through the popup menu for KDE 4.1.1

Yes I know how to start/configure a service. I already use httpd and mysqld. Being a programmer I have programmed services.

I saw the term "network manager" and decided to educate myself.

Somewhere somebody said "network manager" was a new addition so I decided to learn about it.

Whether or not I need it is immaterial. After I learn about it I may later need it.

Simple?