Re: playing mpeg has cone screwey.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I try to play a mpeg file(.mpg) in Firefox instead of getting video
> I get a window telling me I am trying to use proprietary formats for
> which I need codecs to run under Fedora. The available codecs cost
> money.
>

> If I cancel thew window I get the sound but not the video.
>
> How did this happen. This worked a week ago. Did the last update batch
> ruin it for us?
>
> Has anyone seen this and has a solution.

I'm not sure I can help you directly, but when I updated Firefox the
other day, the update changed the status of some of the plugins (it
activated a few I did not want). One of the plugins that became active
was the media plugin for playing movies, and it does complain about
missing codecs. My guess is that something similar happened to you,
but I'm not sure how your firefox handled movies before the update.
BTW, my preferred way of watching movies is to download and open them
in xine or mplayer, so I disabled the plugin. Both xine and mplayer
can handle mpeg without purchasing any codecs.

HTH,

Peter