Re: KDE 3.5.10 Desktop Background Issue

On 02 October 2008 22:23:57 Sandro Steger wrote:
> On 02 October 2008 20:54:00 Craig White wrote:

> > > Same, that's why it took me a while to notice.
> > >
> > > I suspect a corrupted config file to be the cause.
> > > Is there a command to get kde to reload all user settings without
> > > relogging in? That would make it a lot easier and faster to find the
> > > cause.
> >
> > ----
> > No - log out
> > press <Control><Alt><F1>
> > log in as your normal user in the virtual console
> > type 'mv .kde .kde-bak'
> > type 'exit'
> > press <Control><Alt><F7>
> > login as usual, your settings will be back to the beginning and all of
> > your old data/settings are in your $HOME/.kde-bak
> >
> > Craig
>
> Thank you for your help, but I planned to evade that (the reason for my
> previous question).
>
> Anyway, I found the cause and it indeed seems like a bug.
>
> Explanation:
> Konqueror breaks the configuration (located at
> ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc) when using the "Set as background" function
> in some conditions.
>
> The solution:
> Konqueror adds a part starting like [Desktop0Screen0] in
> ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
> Removing that part does the trick.
>
> Can someone confirm this? If yes, I'm gonna file a bugreport on the kde
> bugzilla or the mailinglist.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sandro

I was a bit overhasty, please excuse that.

The real solution is removing the

DrawBackgroundPerScreen_*=true

lines in [Background Common].

[Desktop0Screen0] does it's share to it as well, but deleting the lines noted
above seems to be enough. I assume [Desktop0Screen0] contains the settings
for "overdrawing" the regular screen and does nothing if the line above hasn't
been specified.

Greetings,

Sandro