Re: ATI 3870 Graphics Card install Query

Dan Track wrote:
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Dan Track <dan.track@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I've just recently purchase an ATI 3780 card (Asus EAH3870) I'm having
a problem setting up any compiz or dual monitor support under fedora
9. If I run compiz the screen remains blank with a beige background,
until it eventually reverts back to a normal display. I was under the
impression fedora 9 through the radeon driver supported this ati
model. Can anyone shed any light on how to resolve this please?

Below is a list of  details:

Hi Just wondering if someone can help me with this?

Thanks
Dan

Unfortunately, not likely at this time. I'm not sure about for i386/i686, but the ATI proprietary fglrx driver still doesn't work with F9 x86_64 after more than four months without doing some apparently risky downgrades or hacks, and I have my doubts about the 32-bit version. The default radeon driver that is present in F9 by default doesn't do 3d acceleration, so compiz and even GL based screen savers will not work properly if they work at all. Heck, I often get lag when scrolling through my email with my 3850... Needless to say, I'm beginning to wonder why I've stuck with Fedora since FC2, I'm reasonably sure I could get the fglrx driver to work without much effort on another distribution.

Sorry for the bad news.
Raymond