Re: Slow Grub on new mobo Q

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Kam Leo wrote:
>>On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> I built a new box yesterday, and one of the things I'm seeing is about a
>>> 10 second lag between the bios clearing the screen after doing its thing,
>>> and the "Loading Grub stage 2", which stays on screen for several seconds,
>>> then its blanked for another 10 secs or so, and finally the grub 'choice'
>>> menu comes up.
>>>
>>> This is with the new grub.  One thing I had done on the previous mobo was
>>> to have just one entry in /boot/grub/devices, but I see that has been
>>> reset by something from /dev/sdb to /dev/sda, presumably by upgrading grub
>>> this morning.
>>>
>>> The bios is set to boot from the first ide, which is (hd0,0) I believe.
>>>
>>> What can I post that might be of interest?, just ask.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers, Gene
>>
>>What new grub? As far as I am aware there has been no update to grub.
>
> The one that's been sitting in updates for 2-3 months, scared to install it
> because my drive mapping was fubar on that biostar mobo with its outboard
> sata controller.  Now on this asus, it seems like hd0,0 is indeed /dev/sda1,
> aka /boot in the label.  Anyway, it worked.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Why didn't you state that you were running F8?  If it makes you feel
any better here is the changelog for grub-0.97-33.1-fc8:

Changelog

* Thu May 29 2008 Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> - 0.97-33.1
  - Backport F-9's grub to F-8.
* Tue Apr 08 2008 Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> - 0.97-33
  - Rewrite ia32 efi call wrapper to make the makefile simpler.

F9's grub is at 0.97-33. The previous version for F8 was 0.97-33.
Unless Peter Jones made some dramatic changes I don't see how this
backporting is going to adversely affect your system.