Re: Updates caused problems...

Craig White wrote:

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 09:24 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Antonio M wrote:

> > > I had this same problem... changed to mandriva for the moment.
> > >

> > did you file a bug???
> >
> No.  I would even know how to report this and what I need
> to provide exactly that would aide in getting this issue resolved.
>
> I have removed and reinstalled the latest kernel (2.6.26.3-29.f9.i686)
> and it still hangs. I cannot use it and I am forced to use the previous
> kernel (2.6.25.14-108.f9.i686)
>
> I have removed akmod and kmod, disabled livna, rebooted and interestingly > the kmod warnings no longer appear during bootup and so it appears to have
> nothing to do with corrupting the startup gui, so it appears to be a
> seperate issue.
> Also, interestingly, I cannot reinstall akmod/kmod (with livna disabled)
> because akmod/kmod are not available with the fedora-only repos.
>
> So, I re-enabled the livna repos, attempted to reinstall akmod/kmod and
> I get
> for every kmod module, errors similar to the following:
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: kernel-uname-r = 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 is needed > by package kmod-ndiswrapper-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686-1.52-31.lvn9.i686 (livna)
>
> Finally, the startup gui is still a very big annoyance for both
> kernels esp. with my less-experienced fedora users.
>
> When will someone acknowledge if this is bug or not? Only one
> person acknowledged he had a problem as well as I.
>
> I have already listed the specific motherboards in this posting and
> it has been a little more than a week with no resolution at this time.
----
The list provides community assistance when / where possible. It's a
great place for what often proves to be less than fully qualified help.

Bugzilla provides interaction with the Fedora developers/packagers. It's
the perfect place for qualified help.

Livna has their own support (Bugzilla)
http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Bugzilla

It seems that if a number of other people on this list aren't
experiencing the same problems as you, the problems are somewhat unique
to you and the list may not be capable of providing the assistance that
you need.

Craig

Clearly:

1) Kernel 2.6.26.3-29.f9.i686:
    Does not work for two different motherboards/systems,
   nor for: Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   so, I do not think this problem is `unique' to me.  This kernel
   is a show-stopper - so I have to revert to the previous kernel
   version for now and hope a later update will resolve this issue.

2) The startup Gui stopped working due to latest updates (as of last week)
    and if this is `unique' to me, then I will just ignore this and *maybe*
later updates will automagically repair it - as it sits now, it is not a
    show-stopper because ignoring the startup gui, in the end, the login
    gui still appears.

3) The livna issue is a seperate issue - and is not a show-stopper as I have
   removed them (kmod/akmod) and I know I can at least let the livna
   group know about it.  It is obvious to me that kmod-ndiswarpper
   expects an older kernel (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686) which is no longer
   available in the repos.  Many of the other kmods reported many
   other dependencies as well - so it appears that livna is `out of sync',
   perhaps but I will resolve this later - and focus on my main issues
   (1) and (2)

Ignoring the Livna issue, (1) and (2) remains and is unique to Fedora
since these kernels comes from the Fedora repos and has nothing to
do with Livna (so I think).

Are you are telling me (and others) to use Bugzilla and not to report
individual problem issues here in this list because these are `unique'
problems?  How does one know if they are unique problems before
they post it?  And even if they are `unique' - what are they supposed
to do?  What is the point of this mailing list with the following
statement:

"Community assistance, encouragement,and advice for using Fedora"

You come across as if to to say: "go to livna" and ignore the the other
two problems reported altogether?

This sort of reply does nothing to encourage people like myself to
remain a faithful user to Fedora and I am almost beginning to see
why, but I am not deterred - just a little bit disappointed.

I would have at least expected a little direction as how to handle
each of the problems reported, explain if there is a problem or not,
perhaps a link, perhaps what to report, with what expected information,
etc, so that at least I am not left perplexed as to what I really need to do
next.

Kind regards,
Dan