Re: Updates caused problems...

--- On Wed, 10/1/08, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> To: dant@xxxxxxxxx, "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 4:35 PM
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 09:24 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > Antonio M wrote:

> 2.6.26.3-29.f9.i686:

> root target
> such file or directory)
> such file or directory)
> such file or directory)
> (No such file or directory)

> mandriva for the moment.
> > > >

> > > did you file a bug???
> > >
> > No.  I would even know how to report this and what I
> need
> > to provide exactly that would aide in getting this
> issue resolved.
> >
> > I have removed and reinstalled the latest kernel
> (2.6.26.3-29.f9.i686)
> > and it still hangs.  I cannot use it and I am forced
> to use the previous
> > kernel (2.6.25.14-108.f9.i686)
> >
> > I have removed akmod and kmod, disabled livna,
> rebooted and interestingly
> > the kmod warnings no longer appear during bootup and
> so it appears to have
> > nothing to do with corrupting the startup gui, so it
> appears to be a
> > seperate issue.
> > Also, interestingly, I cannot reinstall akmod/kmod
> (with livna disabled)
> > because akmod/kmod are not available with the
> fedora-only repos.
> >
> > So, I re-enabled the livna repos, attempted to
> reinstall akmod/kmod and
> > I get
> > for every kmod module, errors similar to the
> following:
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: kernel-uname-r =
> 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 is needed
> > by package
> kmod-ndiswrapper-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686-1.52-31.lvn9.i686
> (livna)
> >
> > Finally, the startup gui is still a very big annoyance
> for both
> > kernels esp. with my less-experienced fedora users.
> >
> > When will someone acknowledge if this is bug or not?
> Only one
> > person acknowledged he had a problem as well as I.
> >
> > I have already listed the specific motherboards in
> this posting and
> > it has been a little more than a week with no
> resolution at this time.
> ----
> The list provides community assistance when / where
> possible. It's a
> great place for what often proves to be less than fully
> qualified help.
>
> Bugzilla provides interaction with the Fedora
> developers/packagers. It's
> the perfect place for qualified help.
>
> Livna has their own support (Bugzilla)
> http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/Bugzilla
>
> It seems that if a number of other people on this list
> aren't
> experiencing the same problems as you, the problems are
> somewhat unique
> to you and the list may not be capable of providing the

I am not a heavy Linux sys admin but I have never had any luck with Linux updates like Fn to (Fn+1)

sooner or later something happens requiring a heavy research project!

Now I save all files I need and load Fedora (n+1) from DVD.

Sure I should have done a

rpmyumsxx -1234 /rtter /dodad/honky tonk blah blah -crunch

and then figure out why that didn't work!

Linux should NOT be a mountain of complexity for those who admire/worship complexity.

I have far more than enough complexity in programming subjects.

Remember, we are defeating Vista and XP Prof and need to make things simple for newbies.

THEN maybe we'll have another 14,000 Munich computer switch to Linux!