Re: Installation problem on Dell OptiPlex620

On Friday 03 October 2008 19:05, Tony Molloy wrote:
> On Friday 03 October 2008 15:59:17 Tim wrote:
> > Michael Magua:
> >
> > Tony Molloy:
> > > OK. I boot from the boot.iso disk ang get the install menu
> > >
> > >     1.  Install or Upgrade an existing system
> > >     2.  Install or Upgrade an existing system ( test mode )
> > >     3.  Rescue ....
> > >     4.  Boot .....
> > >     5. Memory test
> > >
> > > Now where can I tell it linux vesa.
> > >
> > > If I eneter < tab> I get
> > >
> > >     > vmlinuz initrd-initrd.img
> > >
> > > Adding linux vesa to this has no effect.
> >
> > Did you try just typing *exactly* what he said, and not doing something
> > else?
>
> Please read what I wrote. I boot from the boot.iso disk and get the install
> menu.
>
> I now have 2 choices:
>
> 1.  select an option from the menu, where can I type in "linux vesa" there
>
> 2.  press <TAB> whereupon I get the > vmlinuz initrd-initrd.img prompt
>      I can type in "linux vesa" there but it has no affect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

I had a whole bunch of problems booting/installing anything on my new machine
that I'd built. I had to disable ACPI in the BIOS, and add acpi=off to the
kernel boot line.

I've just tried CD1 for Fedora 9 on another machine, an I-Friend that uses the
trident graphics driver. First I tried adding linux vesa to the boot line,
which got me just past the media check, which I skipped, and then starting
anaconda just hung, and didn't progress any further.

Next I tried the Install/Upgrade option on the boot menu. this time again I
skipped the media test, and anaconda started, checked some stuff, and then
tried to start X. First I got a big X in the centre of the screen, to be
replaced by a mouse pointer arrow, but again progressed no further.

Now I tried what had worked on my new machine (that is without disabling ACPI
in the BIOS). I added acpi=off to the kernel line, and entered. Again skipped
the media check, anaconda started, and checked a bunch of stuff, got the big
X, then the mouse pointer, followed by a GUI to start the install.

I think a lot of these problems are hardware related, and it may be worth
adding acpi=off to the kernel line. In my case it worked, but maybe not for
you, but worth a try. (dont forget to leave a space before adding acpi=off)

All the best.

Nigel.