Re: fc10 and raid-10

Stuart Sears wrote:
Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
The Fedora installer has insisted on requiring four drives for raid-10
install, and then not using raid-10, but rather raid-1+0 which is
*NOT* the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Nested_levels

ah, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels

See the Linux MD RAID 10 section.
(or man md, if you'd prefer)

Ah, that RAID-10 ;-)

It's naming is a little confusing; RAID-10 (as used by the installer) is what the installer uses to create RAID-1+0 (commonly referred to as RAID-10, but indeed just "mirroring a stripeset" (1+0), but in one single layer (10)), and hence requires 4 disks.

There's no RAID-10 in the installer as you refer to just like there is no RAID LVM configuration, and whatnot. The installer is a helper program to make the initial configuration for a new installation a breeze, not to make sure it has every little checkbox for every possible option.

If this isn't the appropriate configuration for you, then maybe switching to the console on tty2 and creating the MD yourself or providing a kickstart file with the correct %pre script solves the problem.

Don't get me wrong, it *could* be a very nice feature to add to the installer, but then again we *must* prevent the installer from being obfuscated for normal users.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip