pulseaudio and mpg123

I'm trying to get mpg123 working with pulseaudio, and I followed the
instrunctions on this page:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

which seems to be the authoritative documentation. I downloaded
libao-pulse (incidentally, could there be an rpm with this?) and I managed
to compile and install it after installing pulseaudio-libs-devel and libao-
devel. I also put

default_driver=pulse

in /etc/libao.conf

However, mpg123 still does not produce any sound. It does look like it's
trying to play the file, but there's no sound. The sound isn't muted or
anything. I can play mp3 files if I click on them in nautilus.

Anyone got this working?