Re: desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

nope, that made no difference.  in fact, from the X log file,
it doesn't appear that it had any effect at all.  at least with

  Option "IgnoreEDID" "True"

the contents of the X log file suggest that EDID processing is
cancelled (even though it clearly isn't).  with the option above,
the X log file shows that EDID processing is occurring normally.

  in short, still doesn't solve the problem.

rday

It looks like those options are specific to each driver, and there does not seem to be any standardizations among them.

Other possible ones are:   DDCmode and DDC

You might also be able to use:

 Option "MonitorLayout" "[type on primary], [type on secondary]"

where types are:
            NONE   -- Not connected
              CRT    -- Analog CRT monitor
              TMDS   -- Desktop flat panel
              LVDS   -- Laptop flat panel

And select NONE for the secondary to disable it.

The EDID stuff always annoys me, my old 20" monitor does not appear to return proper info for its top resolution even though the original docs list it as supported at the given resolution and refresh rate.

                         Roger