Re: Easiest way to move my installation to my new laptop ? Cloning the drive ?

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 22:37 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Cloning the hard drive is possible. However, there is no defined upgrade
> path from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system. Of course, you can continue to
> run a 32 bit Fedora build on your 64 bit CPU.

My .i386 kernel will continue to run on the dual AMD 64 processor ?   I
knew it would run a 32 bit version of Windows, but I thought it would
need a different version of the Linux kernel.   Am I wrong ?

> You won't get the advantages
> of running 64 bit code, but a 32 bit Fedora will boot just fine on a 64 bit
> CPU.

OK, guess that answers that.

> As far as how to get data off your old laptop drive, I heard that there's a
> great gadget out there called "Google", that can help you find this stuff
> out right away, without waiting for someone on a mailing list to help you.
> About 30 seconds of Googling turned up the following article, which tells
> you everything you need to do:
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5160538.html

Sorry, no cigar.  My old hard drive is 80 GB and it has Windows XP on
the first partition.  The new hard drive is 250 GB and has Vista with
all the drivers for the new hardware.  I need to run the new hard drive.

I am already using the hard drive adapter mentioned in that article.
My laptop quit a couple weeks ago.   I'm running the laptop hard drive
in an old (slow) Dell desktop while I wait for the new laptop to
arrive.