Re: KDE 4.1: Unacceptable ! Was: whew ! That is more like it ! Folderview and panel questions...

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 11:14 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 12:07 -0600, linuxguy wrote:
> > I got updated to KDE 4.1 this morning.  It looks a lot better.
> >
> > I have a couple questions.
> >
> > 1) How do I install application icons in the panel ?  I would like an
> > icon for Konqueror, Evolution, Dolphin, etc.  I think it used to be in
> > Add Widgets or something like that.  Where is it now ?
> ----
> right click in empty space but to be honest, I've found that launchers
> in the main panel disappointing

I have right clicked.   I don't see how to add a single icon for a
single application.  Ie: one used to be able to add an Evolution icon
and if you clicked it, it launched Evolution.  I don't want to go
through the menu to start commonly used applications all the time.

> ----
> >
> > 2) How do I resize the Desktop folder view ?   I click the resize icon
> > in the taskbar that appears on the side.  If I try long enough I can get
> > the folderview to move.  But I can't seem to resize it.  What am I doing
> > wrong ?
> ----
> Desktop folder widget is awfully unfinished at the moment

This is a totally unacceptable statement.  I understand that Fedora is
bleeding edge.  I've been running RH/F since RH8.  I understand that
there might be bugs.

What is totally unacceptable is to ship an OS that totally lacks the
very basic functionality that one uses everyday.

> ----
> >
> > 3) Is there a way to make the folder view to take up the whole desktop,
> > for when I want a traditional look ?
> ----
> see above

See above.

> ----
> > Excuse my ignorance but I am unclear how the whole folder view / new
> > desktop paradigm is supposed to work.  My desktop used to be littered
> > with file and folder icons.   What is it supposed to have now, a bunch
> > of folder views ?
> ----
> see above

See above.

I can't begin to explain what a letdown F9 has been, between the KDE
fiasco and the update security issue.  This is totally unlike any other
RH/F experience I have ever had.