Re: Can't switch to KDE

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 14:18 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Install the switchdesk package, then change the desktop.
> >>  $ sudo yum install switchdesk
> >>  $ switchdesk KDE
> >> that's it.
> >>
> >> you can use your Fedora CD to install if you don't want to use yum.
> >> I'm running F8, and I figure F9 should be no different.
> >> ~af
> >>
> > It is different, and the above does not work. It certainly worked in F8.
> > --
>
> I saw this in the F9 Release Notes (10.1.2). I wonder what else changed.
>
> "Note: ~/.Xclients and ~/.xsession are no longer read automatically at
> login time. If you use either of these files, install the
> xorg-x11-xinit-session package."
>
> ~af

I was optimistic, since switchdesk actually changes .Xclients-defaults
which is run by .Xclients but this installation still does not work.

The end result I have achieved though by getting my machine to run kdm
instead of gdm. The login screen in kdm (at least I think it is kdm)
allows one to change sessions. I got in to this non-standard position of
running gnome from kdm login screen by going to init 3, running
switchdesk KDE and then running startx. This method is not recommended
for the weak at heart,