Re: Printer takes ages to print one page with FC8

M. Fioretti wrote:
On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 01:33:32 AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

Most printers have a Test or Demo mode that can be activated by, for

[...]

Very good suggestion, I had completely forgotten about test modes,
thanks. With that model, it turns out that you have to press and hold
down the power button while you press a number of times the form feed
button. Pressing form feed 1, 4, 7 or 11 times (all values found
online) does print 4 different pages. The first is the demo page which
is perfect, afaict.

Then the printer is likely working fine, internally. You
may still have a cable problem, though not nearly so likely.

Tellya what! If the file doesn't contain "secrets", send me a copy,
and I'll try to print a few pages. I know that you want to resolve
this issue, and you need to. However, if my printing a page or
two will "get you over the hump" I can mail them to you. They'll
look the same, because printed on the same model printer and all.

Second one returns install date (2005/11), total page count 5063,
other stuff, an alignment test of each color ( not 100% aligned) and
an "Error code" equal to 90020103. Google says other people have found

I also have gotten that error code. I forget exactly the cause,
but it is something meaningless. ISTR that just reseating the
print cartridges and powering off/on fixes that or something. Anyway,
my printer is working perfectly and shows that same error code.
I pulled the cartridges and reseated them, and turned power off/on
(using front button) and now that code is cleared. So, my vague
memory seems right. I think it means something like a nozzle doesn't
fire sometimes due to incorrect seating of the cartridge. I'd have
to research all over again. I just know that at one time a few
years ago I figured out it wasn't really meaningful.

this error code, but there are no explanation of what it means. Third
page is other textual info on paper-path calibration data and channels
A/B offset and gain table, nothing I can recognize as "printer works"
or "printer is broken". Fourth page is two narrow columns of black

If it comes out, then "printer works". This is a skew test.

From my own investigation years ago, I tried up to 32 presses, and got
these results:

Test pages printed by the HP DeskJet 895C series printers

Press and hold Power, and press and release Resume some number of times,
then release Power.

Number	Results
------	-------
 1	Print self-test page "world-class professional print quality".

 2-3	*

 4	Self-test page with printer series, serial number, service ID,
	FW rev, page count, PCL default symbol set, mfg 0-2, errror
	code, and a test of each jet nozzle.

 5	Power and Resume lights flash in unison 10 times, then Power,
	Resume, and Cartridge lamps flash in unison 3 times, then Power
	and Resume lights flash in unison 1 time, then Power, Resume,
	and Cartridge lights flash in unison 1 time, then Power and
	Resume flash in unison 1 time.

 6	Power and Resume lights flash in unison 16 times.

 7	Print alignment sheet.

 8	Print "H" sheets forever.

 9-10	*

11	Print FW rev, paper-path calibraton data and channels A and B
	offset and gain tables.

12	Print hex dump of the EEPROM contents.

13-19	*

20	Run a short cleaning cycle.
21	Run a medium cleaning cycle.
22	Run a long cleaning cycle.
23-32	*
33+	Not tried.

horizontal bars and grey points at the very sides of the page, some
rows or = signs in the center. Not sure what this mean, even if it
doesn't look good.

Does all this mean the printer is broken, not anything sw? Maybe, but
I'm not sure.  Meanwhile, at the prompt it still gives:

So far, it looks like the printer is not faulty.

[root@polaris
~]# lpq DESKJET_895C is not ready

You need to restart the queues.

Mike