Re: Secrecy and user trust

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 17:27 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
On 02/09/2008, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

If there is a known date before which packages can be trusted, that
should be said. Users who lag the cutting edge will be reassured. People
won't have to be checking security logs for a decade if the problem is
more recent. People on distributions older than FC8 which are not
maintained should be told if the problem goes back that far.
The infrastructure is up and running.
FC-10/rawhides's infrastructure seems up and running.

FC-9 and FC-8's cvs and buildsys are up again, but no pushes are
happening. In a nutshell, this  means FC-8/F-9's infrastructure is
effectively down.

I tried to update a clean install (see below) and got metadata but no packages. That may have just been a bad time, or even the old packages may be unavailable. Fortunately for me I have every RPM I ever got, back to FC4, and the FC1 KRUD relase as well. Unfortunately for me I'm not sure I trust them. I wanted to D/L the current and compare with the old I already have, and see if anything has changes.

Note on not downloading over and over... if you have multiple systems, you can set one to keep the RPMs after use, then copy them to the same location in /var/cache/yum in another machine. Just the RPMs, not the metadata. This allows the metadata to come in from the network and the RPMs to be local, helpful on a machine with slow network. For no network at all, the rpm "freshen" command will update only what you have installed.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>