Re: Putting files (images in particular) in a 'custom' order

... and they'd *still* come out in filename (or possibly date) order
and not the order I want.

You're absolutely right! I should have read the message more thoroughly. I thought you had two sequences of images and wanted to choose one or the other of each pair (i.e. 1A, 2B, 3B, 4A...)

I haven't been able to find a way to do what you describe, short of copying the images into a new album and renaming them. One would think that manual sorting was a natural thing to do when creating galleries or presentations, but there was no such thing in those plugins either.

gThumb is supposed to be able to use manual sorting, but that option was grayed out in the menu on this system.

Maybe there is a separate app for handling slideshows and galleries geared a bit more towards pro photography that could have sort of a virtual lightbox?

Frode