Re: Fedora 9 Freeze At Login

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 18:21, Kyle Lanigan wrote:
> On 2-Sep-08, at 8:55 AM, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:

> >> Firstly, I'm no Fedora guru, and the other Tim is much more likely
> >> than me
> >> to have the correct diagnosis.
> >>
> >> It is just that if the system freezes in this sort of way,
> >> my first step would be to eliminate problems with X by running in
> >> text-mode.
> >>
> >> One way to do this is to edit /etc/inittab, and change the line
> >> id:5:initdefault:
> >> id:3:initdefault:
> >>
> >> This line in inittab determines which mode linux boots into.
> >
> > I had to do exactly that cause after install, when I tried to log in,
> > my system froze. In my case there is something wrong trying to boot
> > into X mode directly. If I boot in runlevel 3 and then startx, I have
> > no problems.
> > However, if I kill the X server (or normal logout) and then try to
> > start it up again with startx, the system hangs up again (can't kill X
> > server, the kernel doesn't seem to catch the ACPI events when I push
> > the switch off button...)
> >
> > Kyle, do you see any unexpected image after typing your name and
> > password, some bizarre screen or is it just a clear frozen image of
> > your desktop?
>
> Yea, it's just a clear image the desktop background while mouse,
> keyboard and everything else just sits frozen there.
>
> I'm gonna give a go to some of the other suggestions to see if that
> lets Fedora run.

> Sincerely,
>          Kyle Lanigan

I've had a whole bunch of similar problems on a new machine I built, using and
Asus M2N-X Plus mobo. To boot anything, that is live cd's, or install cd's, I
had to disable acpi on the mobo. Then to boot the install cd's I had to add
boot options, mainly acpi=off to the kernel line to avoid the machine
freezing up. Post install, I've had to add acpi=off to /boot/grub/grub.conf,
or /boot/grub/menu.lst in most cases.

Regarding the Fedora 9 install on this machine, Fedora 9 installed ok, but
post-install locked up the machine when X tried to start, and before the GDM
login screen opened. A hard reset, and adding acpi=off to the kernel line in
Grub, got the machine booted up ok, but after the machine is running for some
hours, perhaps days, I again get the machine locking up for no apparent
reason.

Another suggestion I saw was to add nosmp to the kernel line (along with
acpi=off|), if you don't have a dual core processor, which I don't have. I'm
currently trying this on my Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 install, which locks up
from time to time, as does F8, F9, Debian Etch, and Kubuntu GG 7.10.

This is all a bit trial and error as far as I'm concerned, and am simply
trying to resolve a problem.

If it works, it works, and if it doesn't work, I'll try something else.

2¢ worth of perhaps nothing.

Nigel.