Re: Gnome Terminal and Session management Query

Dan Track wrote:
Hi

Guess no one has this type of problem. I'm curious how do you guys
then manage all your servers and network devices? Do you memorise the
hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
in?

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

Mostly, the tools I use have no concept of saving a session, hence
I don't save any at all. I mostly use the CLI, my GUI mailer, and
my GUI web browser. All real work gets done with the CLI. The
mail client I simply leave running 24/7, and the web browser I
use the history when I need it. When I use the browser to attach
to my router or DSL modem, I simply use the entries I have in
my /etc/hosts file.

So, normally I boot, I log in, and I just run 24/7. I don't log
out except to reboot about once a month, to do a full backup.
I have no need for sessions. I do use workspaces. I have one
for my mailer, one for browser windows, one for temp work CLI,
and one for my day to day work CLI. The temp work CLI has a
copy of GIMPS running in it, and on demand I create a CLI
window, do a little work/maintenance, and close it.

Perhaps that answers your question.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.