Re: Laptop Recommendations

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 15:26, Dave Cross wrote:
> I'm about to buy a new laptop. And I'd like to buy one that works well
> with Fedora 9.
[snip]
> I'm looking for a light laptop with something like a 12" screen, a 2 Ghz
> or more processor, 2 Gb of RAM, 300 Gb hard disk, wireless and
> bluetooth. Working well with Fedora is my primary concern.

Since March I am a happy owner of Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo U9200. It is 12",
the processor is Core 2 Duo at 1.6GHz, initially it had 1GB of ram but I had
it upgraded to 2 GB, 120 GB hd was enough for me.

Fedora, both 8 and 9, seem to Just Work on this machine. It has it all working
out of the box --- wireless, sound, 3d accelerated video (intel), webcam,
bluetooth (reported by the system to work, but I have never actually tested
it, have no device to try it out), etc.

Things I have not tried (yet) are hibernation abilities and such.

I am sure memory and hard drive are upgradable. As for the 2 GHz processor,
well, is it really neccessary? :-)

It usually comes without an OS preinstalled, so you need not pay any money to
Microsoft for the software you won't be using. :-)

Other than working with Fedora, my primary concern was weight --- I tend to
carry the laptop around a lot, so it is very important to me that it is as
light as possible --- it turned out to be 1.8 kg, which is the lightest I
could find (the EeePC is lighter, but doesn't have a true hd and a dvd
burner, so doesn't count).

You might want to take a look at its specs on the web, to see if it fits your
needs.

HTH, :-)
Marko