Re: samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

Craig White, il 25/08/2008 16:44, scrisse:

also, shouldn't the domain field reflect the workgroup name, i.e. GRECOELEVATORI? and if so, how can I edit it?
----
yes, the 'workgroup' name in smb.conf should be the DOMAIN for all users
so there's a problem there to be sure. At this point, I would delete the
user and add the user back in.

smbpasswd -x barbara
smbpasswd -a barbara

I did it, but nothing had changed.
however maybe domain and workgroup are not the same thing, because also on my home pc (which runs a samba server) domain is set to the name of the host.

Just out of curiosity...

what do you get from
net getlocalsid
net getdomainsid

(hopefully S-1-5-21-4006416855-825432111-2697360864)

it is so, but "net getdomainsid" says "could not get domain SID".

let's try this first...

service nmb stop
service smb stop
rm /var/lib/samba/wins*
service nmb start
service smb start

then if needed, delete the smbuser barbara and re-add barbara and check

still nothing :(
I assumed with /var/lib/samba/wins* you did mean actually /var/lib/samba/winbindd_privileged, because /var/lib/samba/wins* doesn't match nothing.

I think that if you want to allow 'guest' you have to 'map' the 'Bad
User' guest to an account and you will also have to add in Ufficio
share...
guest ok = yes

not sure I understand you correctly.
the public share has already "public=yes", which should be the same as "guest ok=yes". I added "guest account=ftp" in smb.conf and did "smbpasswd -a ftp" without supplying a password, but still nothing.

I even tried with secutity share, and this way I'm able to access the share, but only with barbara's password. if I try to access without a password it says "server not using user level security and no password supplied". neither with security share I'm able to access the share from the win98 machine; it says (translated from italian, the english text could be different) "unable to access \\BARBARA\Ufficio. unable to find share name". odd, given that I access to it locally with "smbclient //BARBARA/Ufficio". I can't even see win98's share from fedora, nor I can mount it with "mount -t cifs //greco/Ufficio2 /mnt/win98"; it says "mount error 112 = Host is down", but the share name is indeed //greco/Ufficio2, and "smbclient -L greco" confirms it.

I'm lost :(

--
      Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
      http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 33 - [...]Enti e privati hanno il diritto di istituire
scuole ed istituti di educazione, senza oneri per lo Stato.[...]