Re: NetworkManager and special routing

Alan Evans wrote:
Is there any way to get NetworkManager to configure a special route to
a particular host while still getting the rest from DHCP as it always
does?

On my old desktop (without NetworkManager), I just used
system-config-network and added the rule on the Route tab for the
connection. Now, Fedora9, I do that and NetworkManager stops managing
the connection. Ugh.

If NetworkManager is the way of the future, then I really want to
adopt it. But I really can't have packets to my own server travelling
through our default gateway, out over the wide internet through
servers hundreds of miles from here, just to be routed back into the
server room next door to my office.

Can this be done? Or is it time to give up (again) on NetworkManager
and fall back to the static configurations which, while bothersome, at
least work?

If you use the system-config-network tool to manage the config, you may need to edit the config by hand afterwards.

You need to check:

and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

to make sure that they include:

NM_CONTROLLED=yes

However, the system-config-network tool also edits /etc/sysconfig/static-routes which is obeyed by NetworkManager (I believe).

Let us know if you get it working.

We have some systems here that use cell cards to dial out, but still need access to internal networks via dhcp. We use /etc/sysconfig/static-routes to manage that. These systems do NOT use NetworkManager, but the principle should be the same.

Good Luck!