Re: japanese keyboards and xorg (and macs?)

Hi Joel,

I am not familiar with Japanese Mac keyboards.
Are they very different from a Japanese PC keyboard.

Have you tried "setxkbmap jp"?

In openBSD, I have been able to get most of the keyboard mapped to the Japanese keyboard, merely by copying the jp keyboard mapping file from /etc/X11/xkb/symbols into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh and setting the keyboard to jp in xorg.conf.

Ok

But two keys remain unaccessible, and one key does not remap, leaving me unable to type underscore, right bracket, and right brace in the Japanese map. Again, on the openBSD system, I tried the xev utility, and determined that the two keys that are unaccessible are just not generating events.

Has anyone here has seen this kind of problem? or could anyone give me some suggestions?

You could start by filing a report in bugzilla, but I guess it really needs to be fixed upstream. I see current rawhide still does not have a
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh_vndr/jp file...

Dunno if that helps a little? :)

Jens