A solution - Huawei E220 USB Modem

Hi

Thanks for all the help.  Both my problems have been solved

1.  Getting Yum through a proxy server
2.  Codecs - thanks Tim for that detailed reply

Today I would like to provide a solution to a problem. See it is easy to ask questions and tap information. Hopefully I can make someone's day for a change. I have been struggling to get my USB E220 modem going for a while now - 3 Months to be exact. Last night I stumbled upon a solution. Quick background

I am running Fedora Core 9 with KDE 4.0 with kernel 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686.

This should fix the issue of the modem continuously restarting.

You will have to edit this file "/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-broken-usb-sticks.fdi" and add to it the following:

<match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.vendor_id" int="0x12d1">
<match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.product_id" int="0x1003">
<merge key="info.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</match>

Then I used the Network Manager applet to to configure the APN settings under the Mobile Broadband tab.

I know about the Betavine project and those guys do and excellent job. I just do not use the beta software because the last time I did it I had more problems than solutions. I do check there website twice a week to see if the final release of version 2 of the software is not yet released. Maybe not the best way, but at least and alternative. This should also work for Gnome but I cannot guarantee it. I do know that I get HSDPA speed although KDE only shows it as a GPRS or GSM connection.

Regards
Leon