Re: Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Ok, I put both of them on the cable, jumpered as CS, with the CD
on the Master, and the DVD on the slave location. I rebooted, and
got an entry in my fstab...

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[spaces edited]

Also,

$ ls -l /dev/cd*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Aug 21 19:26 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Aug 21 19:44 /dev/cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd
brw-rw----  1 root disk 15, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/cdu31a
brw-rw----  1 root disk 24, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/cdu535
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Aug 21 19:44 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/hdd

The CD drive works as expected. The DVD does not. When I put a
written CD into the CD drive, it mounts, and shows the label.
When I put the same disc into the DVD drive, it brings up the
CD Creator box, like it was blank. Closing that, and doing a mount
causes the disc to mount and be usable, but the label is not
noticed, it mounts just as cdrom1.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.