Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

I think I have tried everything to fire up some browser applets in some web-pages that I am visting frequently.
Everything was OK under FC 5 - Firefox -2, but now it just does not start.
I expect a login screen as the first response to starting up, but it does never appear. - I have installed the libjavaplugin_oji.so softlink in /home/<my user>/.mozilla/plugins - I have tried both jre 6 and jre 5 (i have installed the .bin self extracting file according to some advide I found) - I have Gooogled extensively to get hints, some were fond, but they did not work. - I have checked /usr/java/jre1.5.0_16/bin/ControPanel, as well as the /usr/java/ jre1.6.0_07/-ditto- and I cannot find anything wrong.
- Right now the ..-oji.so points to jre1.5....

- Perhaps Firefox-9 searces in some other location to find this link? I have found no hint about that. In FC 5 this works like a charm.

- One text I found hinted that this area is full of potential trouble, and one issue is which version of C has been used to compile both Java and Firefox.

Does anyone have some experience in this area?

Best Regards
PAR