Re: Which ATI graphics card shall I choose for fedora/rhel

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Kevin Martin wrote:
FWIW, I've got an x1600 running on my Acer laptop and have NEVER been able to get compiz to work correctly (either using the fglrx or the proprietary ATI drivers). This is with F8.

My laptop has a Mobility Radeon x1600. According to the chipset mappings, this is an M56 chipset (not an Rxxx) and is only supported by radeonhd. I used to use fglrx with this chipset on FC6.i386, but since I upgraded to F9.x86_64 the only driver that works for me is the radeon driver. According to the man files, this is backwards and only radeonhd should work for me.

One minor problem I have with this chipset is that while X is running, the virtual consoles are illegible. They work, but I cannot see the text legibly when I type in one, so unless I remember which user is logged in on which console, they are not useful. If I kill the X server, they become legible again. Strange. I never had this problem using the fglrx driver on FC6.

Kevin

I use the fglrx drivers with this "card", but not with Compiz. I have not tried the radeon(hd) drivers to see if I get different results. I had been downloading and installing the ATI proprietary drivers that the ATI website said worked with this card. Are the radeon(hd) drivers on the ATI website or are they built/hosted somewhere else?

Kevin