[OT] Machine won't boot

This is a rather old Celeron machine, 433 MHz with 320 MB ram. It was working
properly up to a couple of days ago, when the first hd started dying out
(which is understandable, given its age and the conditions it's in).

But then at some point the computer stopped booting completely --- bios starts
(and runs properly, so to speak), then the os (it's windows, I know, I know)
starts booting and does not pass the bootloader phase. Actually, I do not
know exactely where it stops, but all I get is a black screen, even with no
option for a safe mode or anything.

At first I just thought the problem was with the hd dying, but then the system
failed to boot the fresh-and-tested Fedora 9 dvd. It spins up, the menu for
installation appears (the text one, saying "type enter to install, type linux
text to install in text mode" etc), and from that point the machine is locked
up --- the function keys (which should provide extra info and help) do not
work, the NumLock button does not toogle the appropriate led, nothing. It is
frozen stiff, and all I can do is to reset it (ctrl-alt-del also does not
work). Though, the dvd drive button does eject if pressed.

After a minute or two standing, it resets itself automatically, and starts
over.

This situation is repeatable with Fedora 8 dvd and Windows XP installation
(tommorow I'll try Knoppix Live cd). The media is not the problem, it works
on other hardware.

I started the "long version" of memory check in bios, and it reports no
problems. However, I could not get to the point to load memtest86, since it
locks before I am given a choice to run it.

The processor seems alive, since bios works as expected. I also tried fiddling
with the bios settings, loaded failsafe settings, tried various things like
downclocking the processor and such, but to no avail.

What could fail and induce such behavior? I have never seen anything similar
before. A computer usually does boot completely or does not boot at all. I've
never seen it boot halfway and then lock up.

Oh, btw, the machine was exposed to some heat and humidity for the last couple
of days --- nothing too extreme, it was just hot these days (around 40
degrees Celsius during the mid-day) and I keep the thing in the garage...

Any ideas?

:-)
Marko