Re: Infrastructure status, 2008-08-16 UTC 1530

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:29 AM, max bianco <maximilianbianco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:09:09PM -0400, max wrote:
>>> I wondered that, too.  The original posting was too vague.  You can't
>>> tell if they're just fixing a fault, or sorting out an attack.
>> Assume the latter and act accordingly.
>
> Like, how? Quick, switch everything to another distro? We don't know enough
> to act reasonably.

Like keep your eyes open for anything unusual at the least. Do a
little packet sniffing just to see if there is any unusual traffic...I
mean take sensible precautions, run chrootkit and rkhunter, run clam,
obviously you aren't going to blow away boxes on a whim but it pays to
be aware of what transpires on your network. I thought that is what
sysadmins were suppossed to do, be aware of what's going on with the
network.

If only all the sysadmins in the world had the time to check on each system and every packet on the network! Try looking for a needle in a haysack?

The least fedora could have done is give some suggestions to users on how to take precautions if this is really a security issue which seems quite obvious now since it's been days and everyone is in the dark

Steve