Re: [F9] radeon dual-head display w/Xinerama

Am Sonntag, den 17.08.2008, 11:15 -0700 schrieb Sean Bruno:
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> > 	Identifier     "ATI dual head configuration"
> > 	Screen      0  "Default Screen" 0 0
> > 	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> > 	InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > EndSection
> >
> So, Xinerama just doesn't work with the radeon driver any more?  Or was
> it just pure luck that it worked at all before?

To my knowledge in a strictly technical meaning the radeon driver never
used Xinerama but a technique called MergedFB (up to F7 or F8). With F9
(or perhaps F8, never used that) they switched to a randr compatible
technique. Nevertheless, the driver uses a big virtual screen and places
the outputs (i.e. the physical screens) on that virtual screen. So the
Virtual directive is quite important.

You may use the xrandr utility to experiment with different settings.

Your displays seem to work in a 1600x1200 resolution each which would
result in a virtual screen of 3200x2400. I'm not shure if the
card /driver does support it (the max I found when I checked some times
ago was 2560x2048).

Peter