Re: Possible to Recover LiveUSB Overlay Image?

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Last night I ran into a bit of bad luck. The Fedora 9 LiveUSB stick that I've been using on my notebook for several months stopped responding so I did a hard reset of the notebook thinking that it'll just reboot and everything would be fine.

As usual, I was wrong. On boot, I now drop into a recovery shell with a "good luck" message. Apparently, I'm not the first one to discover this (see https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ticket/28 ). While I'm not so anxious to fix the installation, I would like to try to recover my files from the overlay image, but  I'm not sure how to go about this. It's not critical that I recover these files, but it would be nice.

I was hoping that I could just mount the image like most other disk images, but that didn't seem to work. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find information about recovering the files, or have direct answers for me? Is it even possible with standard tools?

Thank you,
Raymond

Sorry, you're more than likely out of luck. The overlay is not "mountable" as it doesn't record whole file changes but rather block level changes. One thing I did was as I got things working well, updates I cared about, installed programs that didn't come with the live image, I copied the overlay to the hard drive so when things went south, I could at least get back to a "restore point".

Richard