Re: For anyone experienced with the IETF and RFCs ??

William Case wrote:
> My question is this: These memos are entitled Requests for Comments and
> each have received several detailed and learned comments, yet, the RFC
> seems to become adopted as written with the comments only attached but
> not adopted.  I am I misreading the actual RFC process?

"Request for comments" is a misnomer nowadays. The documents are called RFCs
because of tradition, but the right stage for commenting is while they are
Internet-Drafts, before they become RFCs.

When minor errors are found in a published RFC, an erratum may be published.
If more substantial changes are needed, a new RFC is written and the old one
becomes obsolete.

You might want to read RFC 2026, titled "The Internet Standards Process –
Revision 3":
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026

Björn Persson