Re: Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
2008/8/1 bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
hi...

for my $0.02....

i would argue for getting a cheap ~$40 linksys G usb wireless dongle...

i have a laptop, amd x64, running fedora8, and after trying for a few days
to get the madwifi/atheros stuff working, i got the usb dongle, plugged it
in, and lo and behold.. up/running in a matter of 5 mins!!!

good luck...

I second that .. I just bought a Linkys WUSB54GC and it worked right
out of the box with Fedora9 x86_64.
It is using the rt73usb driver / module ... and the rtx drivers have
been included in main-line kernel 2.6.22(?) since about Jan 2008.

Thank you for the good pointer, I'm ordering one of those. However, it seems worth trying the latest kernel, which should be coming to Fedoras quickly. It has some fixes in network stuff, and I would love to avoid using the dongle if I don't need it. Since I have other laptops, it still makes sense to buy it now, just to add better encryption.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>