Re: F8/F9 Multiboot question

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:47:13 -0700
Dan Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice in how to do this up properly?

chainloader is what I use. I've got a partition with nothing
but grub on it (used to be a /boot partition for an old
fedora, and I kept it around to just use for grub), and a
grub.conf file that looks like:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/zooty.xpm.gz
title Fedora 8 x86_64
	rootnoverify (hd0,2)
	chainloader +1
title Fedora 8 i386
	rootnoverify (hd0,7)
	chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 x86_64
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 i386
	rootnoverify (hd0,4)
	chainloader +1

In my case the different hats are all on one disk, and I tell
the installer to install each system's grub in the boot partition
rather than the MBR, but I think chainloading can cross disks
as well with suitable modification of the rootnoverify gibberish.

The beauty of this scheme is that kernel updates all just work.
I don't have to fix anything after updating any kernel in any
partition.