Re: gcc varargs problem

On Thursday, Jul 31st 2008 at 21:36 -0000, quoth whoosh:

=>
=>all gcc's so far have accepted the following code,
=>
=>until now using gcc on Fedora 9:
=>
=>
=>void f( va_list *pargs )
=>{
=>va_list args = *pargs ;
=>...
=>}
=>
=>64 bit Fedora 9's gcc regards this as an error, all the other gcc's eg
=>on 32 bit Fedora Core 3 have no problem with this.
=>
=>
=>I use this a lot in order to pass var args to another function.
=>eg I have recursive functions which take variable numbers of args
=>and redirect to user supplied functions to process those args.
=>
=>
=>for porting code I dont want to have to rewrite everything,
=>
=>
=>also the gcc gives endless signedness warnings because my
=>code uses
=>
=>unsigned char *
=>
=>instead of
=>
=>char *
=>
=>for strings, I do that because I need to guarantee that chars are unsigned,
=>
=>in order to avoid the ambiguity of EOF versus 255.

Do not use varargs. Use stdargs. Convert any code that uses varargs to use
stdargs. See man 3 stdarg.

steveo at syslang.net