Re: livcecd-iso-to-disk: USB key do not boot (BIOS setup is fine)

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bruno Costacurta wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to build a USB bootable key with file 'Fedora-9-i686-Live-KDE.iso'

Command is :
sudo livecd-iso-to disk Fedora-9-i686-Live-KDE.iso /dev/sdd1

which runs fine, boot loader included, and reports that USB key is ready for use ... however the key is not ignored during boot (the sequence continue correctly with following drive in the BIOS boot order).

I'm using an Asus eee pc (model 900) which is correctly configured to boot via USB key as I tried it with a Debian bootable USB key which boots fine. I also tried another .iso, (precisely the EEdora dedicated to Asus eee) but got same problem.

---
fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Disk /dev/sdd: 1030 MB, 1030750208 bytes
32 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1014 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1984 * 512 = 1015808 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb0bcd68e

/dev/sdd1   *           1        1014     1005857    6  FAT16
---

which looks correct.
So opparently the problem come from livecd command whatever final report OK. Is there some knwon problem with livecd-iso-to-disk ? I'm using Fedora-9.
Or can I build a USB key using another as a workaround  ?

Many thanks for attention and any clue.

Bye,
Bruno

You may have to run "syslinux -s /dev/sdd1". I forget where I found it, but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and probably F9, needs this before the USB key is recognized as a boot device. The latest version is susposed to handle this automatically, but it has not make it to F8 yet.

Mikkel
'syslinux -s /dev/sdd1' (which runs fine) unfortunately seems not to resolve the problem : the USB key remains non-bootable... :-(
Bye,
Bruno