Re: Fedora 9, installed, but no desktop

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 22:03, whoosh wrote:
> I have Fedora 9 now installed. Had to do some rearranging
>
> of drives.
>

> with Fedora Core 3 the boot up led to a choice
>
> of desktops.
>

> but with Fedora 9 on booting up there is no desktop.
>
> How can I get the different desktops that FC3  has?
>

> thanks for any ideas

OK. Even though I've got all the Fedora 9 cd iso's downloaded, and burned,
apart from knowing that disk 1 boots, Fedora 9 isn't installed yet, so I am
to say the least a bit in the dark.

What choices did you make for packages to install during the installation? I
use KDE, so always choose KDE, along with the default Gnome.

When you say there is no desktop, what exactly do you have? When you boot up
do you get the GDM login splashscreen, where you can login for example to
Gnome as default, or via the session button to KDE.

Ok. Exactly what do you see when you bootup? Do you get as far as the GDM
login screen? Or is everything locked up, or do you just have a text mode
login prompt?

Did you do as I suggested, and boot post-install, appending the kernel line on
Grubs menu with acpi=off. To do this when you bootup, look for a mention of
Grub, and press any old key. Grubs menu is often hidden, and pressing a key,
any key will display it. Now press E, Don't take too long as the default
timeout is 5 secs. Use the down arrow on the keyboard, and move down 1 place
to the kernel line, press E again. Now add acpi=off to the kernel line, and
perhaps before doing that use the backspace key to remove the rgb quiet bit
from the end of the kernel line, then when you boot, you can see what's going
on. So far so good. You've removed the rgb quiet, and added acpi=off, with a
space before adding acpi=off on the kernel line. Now press Enter, followed by
pressing the B key. B is for boot, and I'd suggest a prayer or 2, and just
maybe you will arrive at the GDM login splashscreen.

Post back, as it would be nice to see the problem resolved.

All the best.

Nigel. having lost the plot a bit.

I'll try to install the 32 bit (i386) version of Fedora 9 on this machine in
the next day or so, but at the mo, am updating Archlinux, with a transition
from KDE3.5 to KDE4, some 643.38MB. Not a bunch of fun on dialup, but I may
suspend it to see how the Fedora 9 install goes.