Re: Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 29 July 2008, Roger Heflin wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
Does anyone know how to make that work, or, how to change channels in
the xine front end?  I can't find a channel up/down function in its gui.
No...  Don't actually use xine for this purpose.
What do you use? xine works, but it sure is kludgy to change channels. A
minute or more with lots of false starts, specially for the hi-def
subchannel.

Thanks Ed, now if we could get this list back to its stated purpose.
Gene,

I use mythtv for all of that stuff, both recording and watching TV.

yes, but setting up a mythtv system needs real time access to a mythtv guru, and a couple of days to build everything. The guru I have, but he has limited time too.

Not really. With no mythtv experience it took me less than a day to setup my original system (putting it on a already running fedora 7 system at the time), the second time I set it up took <2 hours, and that included compiling mythtv from source. And if you do attempt it there is a mythtv list with a number of guru's on it which usually respond reasonably quickly if you can properly describe the issue, but for the most part the howto's describe the steps needed.

If you are watching 1080i or 720p it does require a reasonable CPU and video
card to do it.   And mythtv can be run in a window, but the default config
is full screen.

One proggy I watched last night claimed to be 1920x1050 or some such figure. And it did miss-fire occasionally since its a good 70 air miles to the transmitter and WV's topology is vertical. Its been said from more than one podium that if WV was stomped out flat, it would be the biggest state in the union.

I could see what, I am only about 40 miles from the antenna and if the weather is being difficult things sometimes get messy.

                         Roger